We were commissioned to design a scheme to replace a 1932 building; creating a contemporary office space in the heart of the City with a greater appeal to the commercial market.
As the site lies within the Bank Conservation Area, the design concept had to sensitively address the existing building’s character and contextual surroundings.
A new structure was built with continuous floors, while retaining the best qualities of the original building; the existing façades to Lombard Street and Birchin Lane. It now provides ten levels of office space, with additional space for a restaurant and café unit at ground and lower ground levels.
The internal structure and Change Alley façades were demolished and the retained elevations to Lombard Street and Birchin Lane were cleaned, repaired and tied to the new internal structure before being fitted with new windows.
In contrast, the elevations to Change Alley and those above the retained façades were clad in curtain walling. Above the retained façades, the curtain wall is designed to incline back from the street line and is shaded by a louvered brise-soleil supported by a secondary structure.
You're looking for exceptional architecture. We're looking for exceptional projects. Let's start a conversationEnquire